SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER: CLICK HERE!
Love cooking, local food, and farmers? Renewing the Countryside is looking for volunteers for our 2019 Healthy Local Food exhibit in the Eco Experience building for the MN State Fair. We would love to have you there! Volunteer shifts are 3.5 hours long, with shifts ranging from 9:00am to 7:30pm, August 22 to September 2. Invite your friends, family and co-workers, and sign up! More details and your tickets will be mailed out to you after you sign up.
As a volunteer you will receive one admittance ticket to the State Fair for the day you volunteer, an organic cotton t-shirt and the opportunity to learn more and spread the word about local organic foods!
• Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older
• Must be able to stand on your feet for 2-3 hours at a time
• Friendly and enjoy talking to people
• Excited about local food!
• Conversant in English
• New this year, we would like to invite all volunteers to attend a one-hour training and preview session on Wednesday, 8/23 from 5:30 - 7pm at the Eco Experience exhibit hall in the fairgrounds. Your attendance is not mandatory but highly encouraged!
SHIFTS & TIMING:
9:00am – 12:30pm *Use the rear entrance of the building to enter before 9am.
12:30pm – 4:00pm
4:00pm – 7:30pm
Cooking Demo and Sampling Helper (2 per shift)
Help guest chefs and farmers prepare food samples and pass out food samples and recipes; encourage visitors to explore the exhibit. Please note that our chef demos take place at 11am, 1pm and 3pm, so we focus on sampling during the evening shift.
Kid’s Activity Helper (2 per shift)
Oversee children’s coloring activity, trivia wheel, temporary tattoos, and “Veggie 500” races; encourage visitors to participate in the exhibit.
Exhibit Host (1-2 per shift)
Greet visitors who enter the exhibit and explain what is offered. Encourage them to participate in exhibit activities such as cooking demonstrations, local food sampling, exhibit displays, CSA farm learning stations, and children’s learning activities.
- Dress for the heat: Pants or reasonable length shorts/skirt that allow for you to move comfortably for a full day at the fair! We’ll provide a t-shirt to you – sizes Women’s M – XXL (they run really small) and Men’s S-XXL.
- Comfortable shoes. Since you may be working with food, please be sure to wear shoes with a closed toe and closed heel.
- Stay hydrated! We suggest bringing a water bottle to keep yourself hydrated. There is a filtered water dispenser near the bathrooms in our building
- Bags, backpacks and other personal items may be inspected by fair staff upon entry. There is room backstage at our exhibit for you to store personal items during the fair. Please note, the refrigerators are for chefs, samplers and Peace Coffee only.
If you have any questions email or call Eli Goodwell, [email protected] or 612-208-8354.