Summer is a great time for kids to learn about food, and books are a great way to help them do that. Here are some of our favorite titles, as well as a variety of local and/or BIPOC-owned bookstores where you can buy them.
- Lenny in the Garden by Ken Wislon-Max
- Grandma Lena’s Big ‘Ol Turnip by Denia Hester
- City Green by DyAnne DiSalvo-Ryan
Check out this list of BIPOC-authored children’s books about food: https://bit.ly/BIPOCbooksf2ece
Where to buy them:
- Birchbark Books in Lowry Hills offers a wide collection of native children’s books and can order books not available on their website.
- Moon Palace Books in Longfellow - you can order online!
- Boneshaker Books doesn’t have a brick and mortar store, but you can order online.
- Any of the bookstores on this list, all of which are BIPOC-owned.
Do you have other favorite food-related titles by BIPOC authors? Email titles to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add them to our book list.