Love cooking, local foods and farmers? Renewing the Countryside will be looking for volunteers for the next the Healthy Local Food exhibit in the Eco Experience for the 2017 MN State Fair. We would love to have you there! Volunteer shifts are 3 or 4 hours long, ranging from 9:00am – 7:30pm, August 24th – September 4th, 2017. Invite your friends, family, co-workers and sign up! We will send you a volunteer orientation packet with more details when you sign up. Sign ups open in June of 2017.
All volunteers receive one admittance ticket to the State Fair for the day you volunteer, a t-shirt and the opportunity to spread the word about a strong, local food system!
• Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older
• Must be able to stand on your feet for 2-3 hours at a time
• Friendly and enjoy talking to people
• Excited about local food!
• Conversant in English
• New this year, we would like to invite all volunteers to attend a one-hour training and preview session on Tuesday, 8/23 from 5:30 - 7pm at the Eco Experience exhibit hall in the fairgrounds. Your attendance is not mandatory but highly encouraged!
SHIFTS & TIMING:
9:00am – 12:30pm *Use the rear entrance of the building to enter before 9am.
12:30pm – 4:00pm
4:00pm – 7:30pm
Cooking Demo and Sampling Helper (2 per shift)
Help guest chefs and farmers prepare food samples and pass out food samples and recipes; encourage visitors to explore the exhibit. Please note that our chef demos take place at 11am, 1pm and 3pm, so we focus on sampling during the evening shift.
Kid’s Activity Helper (2 per shift)
Oversee children’s coloring activity, trivia wheel, temporary tattoos, and “Veggie 500” races; encourage visitors to participate in the exhibit.
Exhibit Host (1-2 per shift)
Greet visitors who enter the exhibit and explain what is offered. Encourage them to participate in exhibit activities such as cooking demonstrations, local food sampling, exhibit displays, CSA farm learning stations, and children’s learning activities.
- Dress for the heat: Pants or reasonable length shorts/skirt that allow for you to move comfortably for a full day at the fair! We’ll provide a t-shirt to you – sizes Women’s M – XXL (they run really small) and Men’s S-XXL.
- Comfortable shoes. Since you may be working with food, please be sure to wear shoes with a closed toe and closed heel. We also suggestbringingg
- Stay hydrated! We suggest bringing a water bottle to keep yourself hydrated. There is a filtered water dispenser near the bathrooms in our building
- Bags, backpacks and other personal items may be inpected by fair staff upon entry. There is room backstage at our exhibit for you to store personal items during the fair. Please note, the refridgerators are for chefs, samplers and Peace Coffee only.
If you have any questions email or call Eli Goodwell, email@example.com or 612-208-8354.